I perused a few resourceful pieces and came up with these simple definition of accountable as ‘being obligated to account for one’s acts/actions’ and accountability as ‘being held answerable for accomplishing a goal or an assignment.’ It is an unfortunate however that the word ‘accountable’ or ‘accountability’ often connotes punishment or negative consequences.
Therein lies the challenge because when organizations or even those in authority over you use accountability only as a ‘yardstick’ for punishment, then fear and anxiety permeates the culture, hence many are not willing to step up to the plate of responsibility.
By all means though, I encourage us to embrace the idea of accountability and let it become a part of our everyday lifestyle. Wherever you are, be it church or at work in your secular life, if you are accountable to someone, it means that you have acknowledged that person has the authority to bring you to question about a certain behavior or attitude.
Conversely, if someone is accountable to you, they have acknowledged that you have the authority to bring them to question about their actions or attitude.
For me personally, I am grateful for those who hold me accountable, and who correct me in love when there is need to do so. That allows me room for growth and development, spiritually and otherwise.
For example, in the case of husband and wife, the bible gives clear direction as to the path each must take –
It is a way of having checks and balances in place in your lives in a way that is respectful to each other while honoring God at the same time.
More Examples On What The Bible Says About Accountability
1) “So then every one of us shall give an account of himself to God.” ~ Romans 14:12 KJV
2) “Brothers, if anyone is caught in a transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ.” ~ Galatians 6:1-2 ESV
3) “Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.” ~ James 5:16 ESV
4) “And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give an account.” ~ Hebrews 4:13 ESV
5) “Pay attention to yourselves! If your brother sins, rebuke him, if he repents, forgive him.” ~ Luke 17:3
6) “But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgement.” ~ Matthew 12:36
The floor is all yours….
- Was there ever a moment in your life when you were consciously aware of someone holding you accountable for your actions, the words you spoke or even your attitude?
- How did you respond to that person?
photo by: Hamed Masoumi/Flickr
Like what you read here? Was this article helpful? Share your own thoughts on the subject then just hit the “Like,” “Tweet,” “Pinit” and “Share” buttons below this post. That will help your friends and followers find this content.