In less than 24 hours July 4th, Independence Day will be celebrated all across the United States of America (USA). Most commonly referred to as the Fourth of July or July Fourth it is a celebration commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4th 1776 by the Continental Congress and that the USA was no longer part of the British Empire.
The celebration is commonly marked by fireworks, parades, barbecue parties, games, baseball games, family reunions, just to mention a few. It is also one of the busiest travel times as families travel from one city to another to celebrate their independence day with other family members.
While this is something worthy of the celebration, true and ultimate freedom [independence] is found in none other than Christ. Scripture offers a very good perspective on the kind of freedom that Christ suffering, death, burial and resurrection affords us. No amount of money could have paid for it.
As Independence Day is celebrated, let each one offer up sacrifice of praise unto the Lord and thank Him always for His shed blood at Calvary that purchased our redemption and who daily load His children with benefits. Here are 16 awesome scriptures on different aspects of freedom and what it means to be completely free.
Freedom specifically in Christ
1.”So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” – John 8:36 NIV
2. “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” – Galatians 5:1 NIV
3. “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” – 2 Corinthians 3:17 ESV
4. “Therefore there is now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death.” – Romans 8:2 NASB
You are called to a life of freedom
5. “For you have been called to live in freedom, my brother and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.” – Galatians 5:13 NLT
Freedom by knowing and speaking truth
6. “..and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” – John 8: 33 ESV
Freedom from sin
7. “But now since you have been set free from sin and have become [willing] slaves to God, you have your benefit, resulting in sanctification [being made holy and set apart for God’s purpose], and the outcome [of this] is eternal life. v23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God [that is, His remarkable, overwhelmed gift of grace to believers] is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 6:22-23 AMP
8. “God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide a way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:13b ESV
9. “We know that our old self was crucified with him in order that the body of sin might be brought to nothing, so that we would no longer be enslaved to sin. For one who has died has been set free from sin.” – Romans 6:6-7 ESV
True freedom – you’re free from fear
10. “And the Lord shall deliver [rescue, free] me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. – 2 Timothy 4:18 KJV
11. “For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power, love and of sound judgement and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control]” – 2 Timothy 1:7 AMP
12. “In God, whose word I praise; In God I have put my rust; I shall not fear. What can mere man do to me?” – Psalm 56:4 AMP
13. “But whoever hearken [listen and obey] unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.” – Proverbs 1:33 KJV
More awesome scriptures on freedom
14. “Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.” – 1 Peter 2: 16-17
15. “Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free.” – Psalm 118:5 ESV
16. “So you see, the Lord knows how to rescue [set free] godly people from their trials, even while keeping the wicked under punishment until the day of final judgement.” – 2 Peter 2:9 NLT
Bless God for the freedom that Those who have accepted Christ as Lord and Savior and have submitted themselves under the authority of God, bless God for your freedom and independence. Any nation who have not submitted themselves under the authority of God cannot really claim true freedom but will remain in bondage to sin.
Freedom through Christ is the only true freedom. Let this be the day of total surrender to God through His Son Jesus Christ. Tomorrow is not promised to any man. Today is the day of salvation, tomorrow may be too late.