He said, look around you in the world today, many are busy, lots of things are happening – in the workplace, in the homes, in schools, governments, healthcare systems, businesses and people have taken building a better life to a whole new level but one that does not include God in it. I paused for a moment, and like the disciples of old, I began to ask, ‘is it me Lord?’
As I dug deeper into His thoughts and mind, to get a better understanding of what He required of me bringing this message, I realized through scripture just how much, we may have in one way or the other missed the mark of His calling. You see, man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart. He knows the intents of each one of us. And so, in all that we do, we must be careful that we do not miss God by exclusion, or part inclusion only when we come upon the difficulties and problems we can’t solve on our own.
Some of the ways people can dis-honour God
- Dishonour to God comes through ones’ disobedience to Him. In John 14:15 it says, ‘If ye love me, keep my commandments.’
- When we mistrust God – we must be careful to acknowledge God first and foremost in all our ways rather than to lean unto our own ways of doing things or our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5-6, 2 Sam 22:3)
- One can dishonour God by having the wrong perception of who He really is. Job was guilty of trying to figure out God until God rebuked him, ‘who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words?..where were you when i laid the foundations of the earth? Tell me, if you know so much..(Job 38;2-4)
- God is dishonoured when one takes credit to him/herself for what God has done. (Deut.8:7-14; 17-20)
- It is a dishonour to God when one make excuse not to serve Him. Service to Him is one of our highest form of worship.
Ways to honour God
- Through our obedience – Deuteronomy 28:1-14 is filled with blessings for obedience to God.
- We honour God when we honour those who God says we are to honour. A prime example of this is Exodus 20:12, ‘honour thy father and thy mother that thy days may be long upon the earth…
- We honour God when we keep His word…what better example than through Joshua 1:8, ‘the book of the law (word) shall not depart out of thy mouth but thou shall meditate therein day and night…..for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.’
- When we are honest and kind to each other (Proverbs 3:3-4)
- We honour God when we trust Him (Proverbs 3:5-6)
- We honour God when we honour Him with our finances. A portion of our substance, our increase and whatever else we’ve accumulated unto ourselves, our first fruits etc must go back to God in His honour. (Proverbs 3:9-10) Examples of how to give back to Him – through tithes and offering in the church, through mission work, charities, and causes.