It is amazing how we have specific days that we celebrate to show appreciation to loved ones or to demonstrate what we believe. It is a great way to make someone feel special and appreciated or to show the world what you stand for.
The sad part is that eventually it becomes like empty rituals. In February, we had Valentine’s Day, and it was all love and roses for the day. That’s awesome, but did it continue the next day, and the next…..and the next?
In March everybody celebrated Easter. We as Christians celebrated our salvation, the fact that Jesus is alive and paid for our sins. But after the Easter weekend has passed? Did you go back to your old negative, grumpy self? How did you treat your colleagues when you returned to work after that weekend? How did you conduct business? Can people still see Jesus in you?
It is good to have these special dates and make it really special for the whole world to see. But we should become consistent in showing our love and respect to those around us. Especially to the loved ones who are closest to us.
Some time ago I heard an expression that I found quite amusing but very accurate. It referred to some Christians as “submarine Christians”. They surface on a Sunday and become very visible as Christians, sitting in the front seats in church and they can’t put a foot wrong.
Yet on Monday they disappear again in their worldly ways. Cursing people, cheating in business deals, gossiping and giving in to all kinds of addictions in secret where nobody can see them……until next Sunday when they surface again….
Soon It Will Be Mother’s Day
Soon we will be celebrating Mother’s Day. Let’s make it a real special day by showing not only our appreciation, but also the respect that is due to our mothers. But let us then continue to show our love, respect and appreciation by giving our support and encouragement on an ongoing, daily basis.
Mothers are very special and sometimes it is as if everybody just expects mothers to be strong all the time. They must know everything and always be ready to support us.
But what about those times when mothers need some support? What about those times when doubt creeps in? When they start doubting themselves, doubting their own competence….when they start doubting whether they have made the right decision, or whether they have given the best advice….
Firstly I would like to encourage all our mothers out there to believe in your own competence. Never doubt yourself. God blessed you and entrusted you with the huge responsibility of motherhood.
When you feel the load is getting heavy and you start doubting your own abilities, just turn to God.
Here are a few scriptures to stand on when you need confirmation of your competence:
- Zechariah 4:6 (NIV) “……‘Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.”
- John 14:12 (NIV) “Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.”
- Romans 8:31 (NIV) “What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
- 1 Corinthians 2:16 (NIV)”….. But we have the mind of Christ.”
- Galatians 6:9 (NIV) “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”
- Philippians 4:13 (NIV) “I can do all this through him who gives me strength.”
- Romans 11:29 (NIV) “for God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable.”
Mothers are often faced with situations where they need to make important decisions. It is so easy to start doubting yourself, not knowing whether you have made the right decision. Once again you are not alone. God didn’t dump this huge responsibility on your shoulders and then left you to cope on your own.
Take note of these scriptures to see God’s willingness to be involved and give you all the guidance you need:
Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV) “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.”
Proverbs 16:20 (NIV) “Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,[a]
and blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord.”
20 Quotes To Celebrate Our Mothers
- A Mother is someone who can fill everybody’s place, but her place can never be filled by anyone else. ~ Anonymous
- A mother is the only person on earth who can share her love with ten children, yet each child can experience all her love. ~ Anonymous
- A mother is someone who has big dreams for her children, but then she allows you to follow your own dreams while she still loves you. ~ Anonymous
- A mother is God’s love in action. ~ Anonymous
- There is no joy as great as that of a mother about the success of her child. ~ Anonymous
- The love of a mother is totally different from any other kind of love. The expression and depth of her love has no comparison, because it is a gift from God. ~ Anonymous
- Every mother is a working mother. ~ Anonymous
- A child’s destination in the future is always the work of a mother. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
- The love that comes closest to the love of God is the love of a mother. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
- Motherhood is a wonderful occupation for women, especially because it is also the only occupation where she doesn’t have to compete with men. ~ M. Braude
- A good mother gives paint and paint brushes to her children, but then allows them to paint their own picture. ~ Pam Brown
- Everybody that thinks that a mother’s love is soft and tender like a purring cat, should see how a cat defends her little ones. ~ Pam Brown
- A mother’s children are as ideas: there is none as wonderful as her own. ~ Chinese Proverb
- A mother’s love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no laws, it knows no pity, it challenges everything and destroys everything relentlessly that gets in the way of her love. ~ Agatha Christie
- The heart of a mother is a well of love and right at the bottom there is always an additional supply of forgiveness. ~ Honoré de Balzac
- Motherhood can overthrow your neatly ordered life like nothing else, but it can also enrich your life like nothing else. ~ Annelie Ferreira and Huibrie Pieters
- A mother is not only someone you can rely on, but someone that makes it unnecessary for you to rely on anyone else. ~ Dorothy Fisher
- A woman, who wants to enjoy motherhood without stress, is a woman who does not dwell on the bad things that are going on around her children, but a woman who chooses to pray about it, knowing that with God, absolutely nothing is impossible. He certainly loves our children even more than what we can dream to love them. ~ Elise Grey
- One good mother is worth more than 100 teachers. ~ George Herbert
- A mother is the truest friend we have. When crises come upon us, when our prosperity turns into adversity, when our fair weather friends let us down, when our problems overwhelm us, she will stick with us and with her seasoned advice she will try her best to wipe out the dark clouds and restore peace to our hearts. ~ Washington Irving
Read More Inspirational Mother’s Day Quotes
Over To You
With Mother’s Day around the corner, how are you going to celebrate Mother’s Day? How do you plan on making this a real special day and to show your appreciation?
Are you a mother? Is the atmosphere filled with excitement and is there a lot of mystery and secrecy going on about what your family has planned for you?
Tell us about what is happening in your life during this time and let us all – as Yvonne would say – honor and celebrate mothers who rock.
Quotes translated into English by Jaco Alberts