The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” ~ (Proverbs 18:21 NIV)
The tongue is the smallest member of the body, yet the power that comes from it is so deadly. The power it releases through words can either hurt you or heal you, curse you or bless you, impede your progress or hasten it. The bible describes the tongue as a little member that boasts great things and is capable of igniting a great fire [when used inapproriately] (see James 3:5)
Even more debilitating is the death sentence it imposes, handed down by perpetrator/s who many times, I’m sad to say, are ignorant to the kind of effects that they leave upon you the victim. As a result, over the years you develop certain beliefs based on what others have told you.
They are what I call lies told to you or curse words spoken over you. So you find yourself on death row for years unable to know your purpose, realize your true potential and to even live the life you are capable of living. For some there is low self-esteem and low self-worth and many other effects as a result.
Here are eight lies/curse words you’ve heard that you need to stop believing today and receive the truth that will set you free and move your life forward:
1. Greatness is not for you – according to Wallace Wattles, “Nothing was ever in any man that is not in you; no man ever had more spiritual or mental power than you can attain, or did greater things than you can accomplish. You can become what you want to be.”
Whatever you set your mind to do, you can and will achieve it. It may seem impossible at first, but when your dream matters enough to you, you will spring into action no matter how impossible others may have made it seem. Go after your dream! You are destined for greatness!
2. You will never amount to anything good – the persons who have spoken negative words such as this to you saw in you potential, purpose and a passion for your goals, dreams and vision. They are referred to as dream killers and rather than cultivating the gifts and the talents in you and be the midwife to help you birth them to reality, they became zealous of you and killed them.
But today I double dare you to rise up from low self esteem, dust off the vision and the dream from the shelf or the closet where they have been buried and go after life. Be reminded of Jeremiah 29:11 of the great plans and thoughts that God has for your life. Don’t die a carbon copy, be the original masterpiece that GOD created you to become.
3. You can’t make it in this life – I say to you, you were born to make it in this life. You can and you will make it! Remember, there are no real failures in life, only results. There are opportunities waiting for you to grab a hold of them. Fix your eyes on the prize. Sometimes you will stumble and you may even fall – but don’t stay down, your path in life is made when you get back up and start walking again. Learn the times and your season so that you can run with patience the race that is set out for you.
4. You don’t have the money it takes – contrary to this false belief, you have what it takes to accomplish all that you need to in life as long as you place all your trust, hope and your confidence in GOD. The wealth including money is His, the silver and the gold, the cattle upon a thousand hills, and all that is upon the face of this earth belong to God. He is the one who gives you the power to get/access wealth. (Deuteronomy 8:18) When the time is right, He will open doors for you that no man can shut.
5. You don’t have the connection – you will realize the connection you need when you begin to move forward by faith and with the understabding that God is the only source of your power that you need to get connected to. When you plug in to Him through prayer, His word, praise and your worship unto Him, no possible combination of circumstances can keep you down.
6. You’re too young – I refer to yet another quote from Wallace Wattles when he said, “You can never become a great man or woman until you have overcome anxiety, worry, and fear. It is impossible for an anxious person, a worried one, or a fearful one to percieve truth; all things are distorted and thrown out of their propeer relations by such mental states, and those who are in them cannot read the thoughts of God.”
7. You’re too old – according to the word of God, without FAITH it is impossible to please God. And without you exercising the faith that God has already given to you, it is simply not possible for you to achieve in life what your heart desires. Be willing to step out in faith. You can earn that GED or the college degree you’ve always dreamed of. You are not too old to start that business. Start writing your book. Take the limits off of God and take the limit off of you so that you can move forward and maximize your potential in life.
8. That will never happen for you – whatever you have set your heart and mind to do in life, it’s time you go for it! Talk is dirt cheap, but know that putting your thoughts and plans into action is epic, it is priceless! Focus on your dreams and not your limitations or your challenges. You can do all things through Christ who has already given you the gifts and talents to accomplish your goals and your dreams in life. (Read – 15 Verses on What The Bible Says About All Things Are Possible)
You will also enjoy reading: The Power Of Your Words
IT’S YOUR TURN…
- Is there anything from this post that you can identify with?
- Have you or someone that you know ever had lies/curse words such as these spoken to you as a child/adult?
- How did you overcome?
- What words of wisdom do you have for someone who might be experiencing the effects of lies/curse words told to them?
We would love to hear your thoughts in the comment section below.
photo by: La Bele